Mommycare: My Skin and Hair Care (June, 2014)

resource website created for new moms that provides reliable news, information, support and helpful tidbits.

For more baby related news and information, please review        
 my other pages and the news feeds to the right (scroll down).

 This page features my latest article for new moms. Enjoy!
***********************************************************************************

2014 Nominee for Boston A List's 'Best Local Blog'!  

 *****************************************************

Mommycare: My Skin and Hair Care


Some friends and acquaintances have asked me over the last 10 years what I have used for skin care (for my face). Since I was 28 years old, I have used the same products and regimen for my face. Now in my 40s, I am very happy with the very youthful look of my skin.  Also, as a result of using my skin regimen, I have never had, or needed, any type of facial or advanced skin treatment. Most of the products that I use can be found at your local pharmacy:

My facial skin products:

Dove Moisturizing Bath Bar/Dove Sensitive Skin Unscented Moisturizing Bath Bar: $12 (pack of 6), I use this soap with a mesh bathing shower sponge ($5, http://www.amazon.com/Rosallini-Bathing-Shower-Scrubber-Amaranth/dp/B007MJWO1U), once in the morning and once at night.

Olay 'Night of Olay' Firming Cream: $7, I put this cream on in the morning and at night after washing my face. I place the cream under my eyes and in the crow's feet area, on my entire forehead and in the area around my mouth where smile lines normally occur.

Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid (regular or sensitive skin): $12, I smooth this cream on the rest of my face and neck after applying the Olay firming cream, once in the morning and once at night.

Amazing Grass Organic Wheatgrass powder: $25, For the past 3 years, I have wheatgrass at least once per day mixed with juice. Wheatgrass helps with skin and hair health. My skin has a nice glow to it and looks very healthy. http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/amazing-grass-wheat-grass-organic-8-5-oz-powder/g5-1004#.Ux3rMz9dXvk

Below I provide pictures of my face that were taken in January 2014 to show the area around my eyes and forehead. As you can see, the years of using this regimen has kept my skin smooth, hydrated and reduced the look and amount of wrinkles that I would have had by now. Again, I have never had a facial treatment or used any other products in order to reduce wrinkles.

My eye skin, left side, Jan. 2014.
My forehead and eye skin, from front, Jan. 2014.


My eye skin, right side, Jan. 2014



















My hair products:

In 2012 I decided to use my 'points', that had accumulated for several years at Sephora, to purchase their 500 point gift that included some of the items below. This particular set of products complimented my hair type and I have continued to purchase them regularly as part of my hair care regimen.

Carol's Daughter MONOI split end sealer: $25, This was one of the items in the Sephora gift bag. I have used this cream to protect the small hair along my hairline. I comb in the cream from root to tip to the front hair that begins at each temple. I only apply the cream once my hair is dry (after washing). http://www.carolsdaughter.com/hair/monoi_repairing_split_end_sealer.html?BCID=419AE9DFBCA7

Ojon Damage Reverse Instant Restorative Hair Serum: $25, This was part of the Sephora gift bag. After washing my hair, I place the serum in my palms and smooth it only on the ends. The next morning my ends are soft, fluffy and healthy looking. Using Ojon in this way has minimized the amount of my split ends to the point where I have a hard time finding one!
 Link to the Ojonhttp://www.ojon.com/product/4725/18463/Shop-by-Product/Shop-by-Product-Type/Style/damage-reverse-Instant-Restorative-Hair-Serum/index.tmpl

Phyto Phytojoba Intense Hydrating Shampoo: $19, This was another item included in the Sephora gift bag.  I use this shampoo twice a month; it is a very deep conditioner and is designed for dry hair. http://www.sephora.com/phytojoba-intense-hydrating-brilliance-shampoo-P2897?skuId=1512342

For other hair types, here is a list of other common mistakes that people make in terms of hair care:
http://www.misikko.com/hair-mistakes.html

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Retention Shampoo: $11, This is my regular shampoo and was not part of the Sephora gift. I discovered this shampoo in 2012. The one I use contains Sea Kelp and Argan Oil and is meant for dry hair.

My Pregnancy Shampoo/Conditioner:

During my pregnancy, and before I discovered Shea Moisture, I used Herbalix Restoratives Pure Botanical Shampoo which is 95% organic, no added fragrance, free of synthetic chemicals and petroleum and comes in a non-estrogenic bottle. http://www.wholebodyproducts.com/item.php?item=741041

I also used Jason Pure Natural Daily Conditioner which is fragrance free and contains no parabens, sls or phthalates. http://www.iherb.com/Jason-Natural-Pure-Natural-Daily-Conditioner-Fragrance-Free-16-oz-454-g/19498

I wanted to avoid chemicals as much as possible when I was pregnant and used these brands specifically because they were fragrance free (lots of chemicals can be hidden under the term 'fragrance' in a product's list of ingredients).


The Final Touch: My Make Up
Out to lunch for Easter, 2014.

Prior to my wedding, I was helped by a professional make up artist for my wedding make up. She used certain brands, gave me instructions to follow and I have enjoyed applying my make up using her suggestions over the years.

My original eye shadow primer was made by Urban Decay, but I now use a Benefit product.  My original eye shadow by Laura Mercier came in a special palette for that season, however, I found another palette that complements my other make up and gives me a bright, fresh look.

Eye shadow, Benefit Smokin' Eyes palatte: $36, I am wearing this in the Easter photo above.
Eye shadow primer, Benefit Perk Up Artist: $30.
Nars Blush, Color: Peachy pink with shimmer: $30, I am wearing this in the Easter photo above.
Laura Mercier Lip Glace, Color: Blush, $25.
Make Up For Ever, Aqua Lip liner (made in Germany), Color: 2C, $18
Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash mascara, Color: Black, $19
Bare Minerals Original Foundation Broad Spectrum powder, Color: mix of Medium Beige and Tan, $27 each.
Revlon Colorstay Liquid Eye Pen, Color: Black: $9.
Anastasia Perfect Brow Pencil, Color: Soft Brown-Warm Golden Brown: $23.
Du Wop block eye concealer: Color: Medium, $28, I use this once in a while under my eyes if my regular make up has worn off during the day. It comes in a convenient container.


Although not part of my wedding make up, I wanted to mention this Nars base make up that I use occasionally:
Nars Illuminator (liquid base make up): Color: Laguna, $30, This is great to use if you are in a rush and don't have time to apply your regular base make up - it applies quickly, evenly and with a touch of shine!
I love my bright, fresh look!
I hope my fellow new moms enjoyed seeing the benefits of the long term use of these skin care products as well as learning about the hair and make up products that I use regularly.  If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me at JoyE@NetworkforMoms.org.

- Joy E.
Posted June 9, 2014
JoyE@NetworkforMoms.org


Family Outing to the Arboretum

Daddy and me in arboretum 5-18-14




Frolicking in the blooms with Daddy 5-18-14.
With Mommy at the Arboretum 5-18-14
Enjoying the scenery Arboretum 5-18-14

Viewing the blooms 5-18-14






With Mommy at the Leventritt Pavilion, Bush & Vine Garden in the Arboretum, 6-3-14.







On Bussey Hill with Mommy playing hide & seek!



Running to Mommy in the Leventritt Pavilion, Bush & Vine Garden.


Play date at the Children's Museum


Having fun in music class with Hansy and my play date, 5-25-14. 
Dancing to the Hokey Pokey song!
Playing the drum to the music.






In the playspace with Hansy and my play date.
Playing with the food in the kitchen area.





Arboretum Bush & Vine Garden Visit

Enjoying the Poppy flower scent, 5-26-14.








Exploring the woods behind the bush & vine garden.









With Mom & Dad at Bertucci's for dinner! 5-26-14

I love the pretty rhododendron flowers.










Examining the poppy, 5-29-14.






On stairs on top of Bussey Hill, Arboretum, 5-30-14.












On Peters Hill, Arboretum with Mommy, 5-30-14








Play date at the Museum of Science

In the Nano area at MOS with Jaime and my play date 5-23-14.

Swinging away!










Playing with the chains at the model table.











Fun at My Gym!

Playing at My Gym, 5-29-14.

Playing on the low bar, 5-29-14.









Playing in the fort, 5-22-14.










Paint Playground class!

Thumbs up!
Painting with my classmates.

Mixing paint in class.

***The Feedjit audience tracking gadget tracks my readers' visits to my blog and if you would be so kind, please link this post to your MySpaceFlickrFriendsterAOL IMYouTube43ThingsFacebook/TwitterTumblr or FunP page or join the site with Google Friend Connect by using the gadgets in the right panel of this website. Feel free to comment on my articles as well, don't be shy!  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

NetworkforMoms.org supports

NetworkforMoms.org supports
Keep up the great work!!